Sunday, December 28, 2008

Is Dipietro Truly Hurt?

I was one person that was not surprised to see Rick Dipietro stay on Long Island as the New York Islanders headed to Buffalo for their Saturday night game. I was also a person that sat at Nassau Colliseum before the Toronto Maple Leaf game and just thought to myself, "Why on earth is he starting this game?"

Rick Dipietro should have:
1. Gone for a conditioning stint at bridgeport
2. Not played til at least after the New Year

Why rush our Franchise goaltender back into action after so many surgeries to his knees and hips?

It made no sense to me.

And the end result?
Yes, an Islander win. But, also, DP uncomfortably skating out of his crease during a TV timeout in the 3rd period. He was leaning over like he always does when he hurts something. And since that moment, I waited for the news that he was injured.

In moments like that, you hope it's something that can just be shrugged off. DP did finish the game. And let's be honest, would going to Bridgeport have really made that big of a difference to this goaltender who plays his hardest no matter what the situation? If DP truthfully has a groin problem. I'm sure it would've happened whether in Bridgeport or on Long Island.

The biggest issue is whether DP should be playing at all right now. My vote is NO. He should be resting those hips and knees until the Islanders get Tavares or Hedman. But we know he won't.
And on that note, I'm just happy that there has been no report that he needs surgery on his knees, hips, elbow, face, pancreas, appendix or some other part of his body! (But it wouldn't surprise me if he already had another procedure this morning)

No comments: